Enhance – CannaGurt

CannaGurtTubIn June of last year,  the Steve’s Real Food team was sitting in our weekly meeting,  and we started to talk about making a goat milk product with added Cannabis. My science brain starting turning, thinking of all the great potential and health-improving possibilities that this type of product could have. Quickly to follow, the Veterinary Technician part of my brain remembered those poor “stoned” pets that had been brought in to the emergency clinic that had accidentally eaten some stash of a tasty green leaf plant they had found in a baggie somewhere in the house.

I believe that some people hear the word Cannabis and immediately they think that is it bad and alters the mind causing a “high”. They don’t have enough good information to understand that there are different components to the cannabis plant and that it is possible to get the benefits without the high.  When people don’t understand this, they are unfortunately misinformed about its great medicinal potential.

So what exactly is the difference between the psychoactive “high” and the medicinal properties of Cannabis?

Dr. Rob Silver, a veterinarian leading research and public awareness on the medicinal benefits of medical marijuana for pets, makes it really easy to understand. According to him, there are 2 main phytocannabinoid compounds to cannabis. First is the tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC, which causes the psychoactive effects on the mind. The second is known as Cannabidiol, or CBD, which does not alter the mind and has been used to temper the effects of THC.

Knowing that there was a whole new door opening in the medicinal possibilities that Cannabidiol (CBD) could offer pet parents, I couldn’t wait for our new product to reach its final formulation.  We worked with Dr. Silver to make sure we fully understood the benefits and dosage of our new CBD product, and after many months, we are now finally ready to announce our new freeze-dry hemp and goat milk yogurt, Cannagurt. It is the first of a new line of products, Enhance,  designed to provide supplemental nutrition to support the healing of specific systems.

CannaGurt contains a perfect pairing of ingredients to promote a wide range of health benefits to all pets. Based on documented research and antidotal evidence, the cannabidol (CBD) has shown to have potential benefits for behavioral modification, epilepsy, chronic pain, sleep disorders, appetite improvement, nausea, and vomiting. It has potent anti-inflammatory & anti-microbial abilities. There is also ongoing research being done to quantify its ability to help with Cancer pain and for pets undergoing Chemotherapy or Radiation therapy.

Group with Bottle

Our product contains 3 ingredients: Raw Goat Milk, Hemp Protein, and Hemp Oil – the last of which contains the CBD.

The Hemp protein supplies an added burst of Omega fatty acids for heart health and anti-inflammatory benefits. Partner that with the goat milk yogurt, which contains over 50 nutrients, including vitamins A, C, B1, B12 and E, minerals, enzymes, citric acid, amino acids, fatty acids, and electrolytes, six probiotic strains, and the final ingredient, CBD, and you have a power food with endless healing possibilities.

After the first batch of CannaGurt was produced in November, Steve’s did a feeding trial with it, sending it out to some special pets that we thought could benefit with the aid of the Cannabidiol. We had pets with veterinarian diagnosed health issues such as anxiety, arthritis, seizures, chronic pain and post-operative surgical pain try the CannaGurt for 1 month. We closely monitored any changes with the pets, and what we heard back from these pet parents was overwhelming – even better than we had initially thought it would be.

Some of the feedback we had:

An unidentifiable womans hand holds Medical Marijuana aka Pot, D“Elliot our 10-year-old Bernese mountain dog finished his CannaGurt and I could not have been more pleased with the results. It helped him in many ways, I noticed that he was able to get up from lying down without any struggle and he actually started to show interest in initiating us to play with his favorite ball.  In the mornings, he used to be stiff and since on the CannaGurt he wasn’t stiff in the mornings anymore.  We finished the feeding trial and within days noticed that he again became less active and had more trouble getting up, can we please have some more CannaGurt?”

“We noticed after only 10 days on the Cannagurt that Gus seemed less stressed and anxious.  For the first time ever I was able to cut his nails all by myself, this has NEVER happened, it has always taken 2 of us and he gets so stressed.  He was calm and had no issues with his nail trim.  We loved what the CannaGurt did for Gus!”

“Since starting the CannaGurt feeding trial with our dog Smokey we noticed that it took only about 5 days before we saw a difference in his movement.  He has a large fatty mass on his shoulder that was inhibiting him to move well.  We started the CannaGurt and noticed he had more good days with getting around.  We also had the mass removed and continued on the CannaGurt after surgery. We feel that it helped him to recover and help with pain as well.  We would love to continue on this wonderful product.”

global2Hearing those amazing responses come back has given us the extra motivational boost to get CannaGurt out there and start helping Enhance the health of pets that can benefit from CannaGurt.

Ask your local retailer about Steve’s CannaGurt, and if they haven’t heard about it, or aren’t carrying it yet, let them know what a benefit this may be for your pet.

We will be announcing the rest of our new Enhance line in the coming days. Stay tuned!

2 years ago

I will email the information to you.

Julie

2 years ago

Is this available via distribution in the Pacific NW yet? Will you email wholesale pricing to me please? Thanks!

2 years ago

We are shipping this in a couple weeks. I am in the process of sending pricing to distributors and getting their wholesale pricing back. I will send that to you as soon as I have it.

Denise

2 years ago

I just purchased CannGurt for my hyper/ separation anxiety filled bichon/poodle mix and am hoping for good results. Once mixed, how long will it last in the refrigerator? Since he’s less than 10 pounds, can I mix small batches so it’s not wasted? If so, what is the ratio? Thank you so much! We have high hopes for great results and will certainly post once we do!

2 years ago

Once mixed the DogNog will stay good for up to 12 days. You can mix it in smaller batches. The ratio of dry enhance to fluid ounces is 1:6.25.

Kathleen Hardy

2 years ago

My American Alsatian is pregnant for the 1st time. Grace is 1 1/2 yrs old but as of 1 week ago is refusing food. She loves to lick remains of our dinner plates and loves her “Natural Balance”. WE feed her a high quality natural “no grain” diet. I understand that not eating may be a result of her pregnancy hormones. At the pet food store the recommended your product but did not know about giving it to a dog that is pregnant. What is your research on this? Thank you!

2 years ago

Hello, We will email you a response.

Melissa

2 years ago

I am a professional dog trainer and Behaviorist. I specialize in working with dogs who have severe fear, fear aggression and anxiety behaviors. I would like to do some test cases with your product. Can you please email me info to get started.

2 years ago

I will email you with more information.

Michelle Ward

2 years ago

Can this be supplied to the UK

2 years ago

Currently, we are not working on distribution to the UK, but as we see demand increase we will refocus our efforts.

Michael

2 years ago

I have a 12 year old Rottweiler that I started giving this to. His condition has improved drastically.

Lori

2 years ago

How can I order this product

Hi Lori,

At this time we do not sell it online. If you can provide me with an zip code, I can try to find a store near you.

Deidre

2 years ago

I came across Cannagurt when I stopped in my favorite natural pet store, Thomas’ Tails, in Crystal Lake, IL. My goal was to acquire both stress and pain relieving supplements to help my 10.5 y/o Min. American Eskimo, Lillie, both before and after invasive exploratory surgery. Her holistic vet and I had done every diagnostic test possible besides the surgery, and I wanted to make sure my baby was comfortable during her rough recovery. I was absolutely blown away by the results! the very night of her surgery, she was comfortable and unstressed. To boot, it helped immensely with inflammation, particularly in her digestive tract…she was ultimately diagnosed with an extreme case of IBD. Both her vet and myself are extremely anti-steroids for inflammation, so I was all-too-eager to give him the product box with the information. He’s a firm believer in hemp oil; in fact, one of Lillie’s “balancing” natural meds was autogenous hemp oil. The senior vet tech and the vet are now enthusiastically looking into your product since they’ve seen the fantastic benefits it offers. As long as her vet agrees, I’ll continue to keep my baby on this incredible product indefinitely. Thank you so much for creating such an amazing NATURAL product!

~Lillie & Deidre

Gisela

2 years ago

I have a 13-year-old Lab mix who was recently diagnosed with Cushings Disease. I’ve read that the medication to lower high cortisol levels in dogs with Cushings might unmask inflammatory pain that the cortisol was ‘helping’, and after a month on this medicine, my dog has started to become restless and seems to be uncomfortable at times. Whether this is due to pain or something else, I don’t know, but I gave her Cannagurt one evening, and after an hour, she was calm and sleeping. My vet doesn’t seem too familiar with homeopathic treatments, so I was hoping you could tell me if it was safe to give her Cannagurt while taking the cortisol-lowering medicine (Trilostane/Vetoryl) that she’s on? I actually bought Cannagurt to help with my Jack Russell’s fear of storms and fireworks, by the way, and she weathered the 4th of July weekend pretty well because of it. Thanks for providing something that seems to be making my elderly dogs’ lives more comfortable.

shantel McCook

2 years ago

We are so glad to hear that the CannaGurt was able to help your JRT weather the fireworks storm on the fourth of July. We have really heard some great response stories from pet parents who used it to help calm their pets from the fireworks. We strive to make the best product we can to naturally help achieve that balance in our pets lives. We truly appreciate your great feedback and hope for many more comfortable years with your 2 sweet girls.

Abby's Mom

2 years ago

We purchsed Cannagurt at a specialty pet store – Bentley’s in Libertyville, IL. Our dog is a very picky eater but she drinks this up instantly. Prior to taking Cannagurt she would wake up several times during the night and we would hear her panting (due to arthritic pain and the anxiety associated with it). This stopped with the first dose. She appears to be moving a bit better too. During the day she gets Glucosamine and a daily Dermamaxx prescription for her arthritis and joint pain. She is 13 and we feel Cannagurt has definitely added to her quality of life. She is much more playful overall, we believe it’s partially due to her sleeping better at night with the Cannagurt. We have been recommending this to all of our dog friends and cannot thank you enough for this product.

2 years ago

Thank you for sharing. It is comments like these that make all the hard work worth it. I am so glad the CannaGurt worked!

Alison Barwick

2 years ago

I’ve used CannaGurt successfully with my pug. Is it safe for feline use as well?

2 years ago

Hi Alison, It is safe for cats!

Jennifer

2 years ago

I have a standard Poodle, 5 years old, that just started having seizures in March. We’ve done medical tests only to find nothing. I’m VERY hesistant to put her on seizure meds because of the side effects. Currently her seizures have started a pattern of every 3 months. Would Cannagurt be helpful to her?

2 years ago

Hello Jennifer, We have a foster dog that has really bad seizures. If he misses one dose of medication he will go into cluster seizures where he will get multiple in a day. We started him on CannaGurt 3 oz of CannaGurt a day and have been able to reduce the amount of phenobarbital by half. On the full dose of pheno he was not a dog. He would sleep all day, stare at walls, walk into windows, and fall off chairs. With less phenobarbital he is running around, more alert to what is going on around him and responds to commands. We are working on reducing the dose even more, but it is a slow process since his seizures are so bad. I think you will find success with the CannaGurt.

Traci

2 years ago

Once mixed, can this be frozen into “ice cubes” for longer term storage? I have an anxious 7# yorkie that happens to love “pupsicles” made from other ingredients.

2 years ago

Yes, you can make ice cubes out of the Cannagurt. Many pet parents are doing that in order to have precise feeding amounts quickly accessible.

Molly

2 years ago

My year old Border Collie has very high anxiety when walking. I started giving him 1 oz per day and immediately I noticed results! Thank you Cannagurt for what you’ve done to my pup!

2 years ago

Thank you for sharing. I am always happy to hear what a difference it has made.

Natalie

2 years ago

I was wondering what are the mg per serving of CBD is? My dog has started to have seizures and my vet told me to find something that has high CBD and low THC. Thank you!

Hello Anderson,

We have had a lot of great feedback regarding dogs using CannaGurt for seizures. There is 2.63 mg of CDB per ounce (rehydrated) of CannaGurt. There is less than 0.3% THC.

Halli

2 years ago

Hello, I was doing some research on cannabis for dogs. I was wondering how you determine how much to feed the dog? In my research I found that most studies say dogs are more sensitive to cannabiniods than humans. Meaning that going strictly by body weight doesn’t measure how effective each individual dog’s endocannabinoid system is. So what is it that you reccomend?

2 years ago

Hello, We consulted with Dr. Robert Silver to come up with our recommended feeding amounts. You are correct that each pet’s cannabinoid system is different and you may need more or less than our recommendations. If there is a specific issue you are trying to treat, we encourage you to consult with a holistic veterinarian. Dr. Silver has had a lot of experience and I believe he will do online consultations.

Nicole

2 years ago

I purchased cannagurt for my 8 yo foxhound Chopper who has had several rounds of hemangiosarcoma. It seems to be making him throw up. Am I giving him too much? I mixed it with water as instructed and have been giving one ounce with food but within an hour or so he throws up. My Black and Tan coonhound isn’t throwing up and I’ve been giving it to her so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the product or batch. Any recommendations you can email me would be greatly appreciated.

Jenny

2 years ago

Hi, I have just made my first bottle of cannagurt for my golden retriever. The box says that the 1.6 ounces will make 16 ounces, but when I fill to the fill line (with the powder already in the jar) it makes only about 12 ounces of liquid. I just want to make sure that I am mixing it properly. I want to use the product properly and also cost effectively. Thanks for your help.

Jenny,
Thank you for your concern! You are mixing it correctly. When you add the water to the fill line it does make 12 ounces of actual product. There was a misprint on the labels and it has now been fixed.

Becky

2 years ago

Hi, can you help me find a way to get the Cannagurt to help my 3 senior dachshunds? My zip code is 06010 and am in CT

Becky,

I have emailed you a list of different stores that are near you!

Samantha

2 years ago

I tried to give this to my cat who is going through liver failure but does not drink it. Can i mix it in with something?

2 years ago

Yes, you can mix it their food or something else that they love!

Theresa Charleston

2 years ago

Hi there. My 9 year old, overweight, low thyroid border collie mix has no issues with eating but experiences a lot of pain and panting and stiffness. Will this medicine potentially make her eat more? The last thing she needs is more weight on her poor old painful bones. Thanks for your help 🙂

2 years ago

The Cannagurt can help with her joints and pain. There shouldn’t be a problem with gaining weight.

Victoria

2 years ago

I am wondering where I might be able to purchase this for my 6 pound chorkie. She has a lot of issues and one of my friends just told me about this. She started her dog on it and he is doing wonderful. She also said it is for 10 pounds dogs or over. Is there anyway a 6 pound dog can use this. Thank you

2 years ago

I have emailed you some more details!

Victoria

2 years ago

I also live in the 02301 area code . Is there places around I may be able to get it through since it is not available via web

Jess

1 year ago

Cannagurt really helped with the minor anxiety my dog has. He’s usually alright, but when I have to take him to the vet or clip his nails, he gets this 45 beforehand. It really helps! He is a lot more happy-go-lucky after taking cannagurt. 🙂

Tanya

1 year ago

Based on the comments I have read so far it seems that this may be an option for me as well. I have 3 GSDs that are HORRIBLY afraid of loud noises, gun shots, and especially thunderstorms. They have gotten to the point of being destructive. My female has now destroyed 3 kennels. Am I to assume that this would be a positive approach to help them out. They get worse every year. Is it available in Minnesota. I am in the zip codes of 55805 or 55811. If not located in that area may I order directly from you?

1 year ago

Tanya!

Thank you for being interested in our products! It looks like there is a store near you that is able to order the CannaGurt in.

Matilda’s Dog Bakery & Boutique
4711 E Superior St
Duluth, MN 55804
Phone: (218) 525-3775

CannaGurt is also sold online at http://www.natralpetwarehouse.com

Lyndsey

1 year ago

We are 2 feedings in using cannagurt to help our 2 1/2 year old GSP with anxiety (due to a 5 month old puppy in the house), food aggression (working with a trainer) but overall to help him relax. We’ve started with 2oz’s he’s about 70 lbs, do you suggest putting the two ounces in one feeding or breaking it up? we want to make sure this is most effective for him when he is awake.

1 year ago

Lyndsey!

It is great to hear your results with our CannaGurt! It is up to you if you’d like to give it once a day or twice, if just giving it during the day is working then continue using that feeding guide.

Amanda

1 year ago

Hi!
I heard about your product and was very excited to use it. I have a 30 lb mix with a sensitive stomach and a tendency to vomit up bile in the middle of the night even though I spread his meals out throughout the day. I was hoping cannagurt could help, but Ive seem to run into a problem. For a dog his size, I supposed to give him 1.5 oz of cannagurt a day. Since this was his first time, I only gave him 1oz. That was yesterday, and today he has had a really bad case of the runs. Like, so bad to the point where he had an accident in the house, which he has never done in the 5 years Ive owned him. Is that a known effect, because nothing else in his diet has changed. I stopped giving him the cannagurt, but if i were to try again when his stomach is better, should I start in smaller amounts or just discontinue entirely? Thanks.

1 year ago

Hello!

Some dogs can be sensitive to the goats milk that is in the CannaGurt. We would recommend starting smaller amounts to see if that helps, if it doesn’t help then to discontinue use.

wayne keller

11 months ago

I was wondering where I could buy your cannagurt at?? My zip code is 53531. Thanks alot wayne

11 months ago

Hi, Wayne!

It looks like we do have a few stores near you that carry our products. They can be found on our store locator which I have provided a link to. Some store may not have the specific product in stock, but are more than happy to order it in for customers.

Michael Marks

10 months ago

My dog didn’t care too much for the cannacurt in liquid form. I tried sprinkling it on his food. Is that an okay idea? And if so how much should I feed him a day? He is about 50 lb.

10 months ago

Yes it is ok to feed the Cannagurt in dry form, for a 50 pound dog he should be getting 10.5 grams of the dry Cannagurt.

Daniela

7 months ago

Hi, my dog is 10lbs I know the dose is 0.5 oz, is that per meal or is that the dose for the day?

7 months ago

Daniela,

Thank you for your questions! The doses are for per day.

Kellie

7 months ago

How much CBD (in mg) is there is one daily dose of Cannagurt? My dog has IBD and tends to be very anxious. He has been on both Cannagurt and Carnaforage for 10 months and we have seen some improvement in his IBD but not really his anxiety. Thanks for your help!

7 months ago

Kellie!

There is 2.6mg of CBD per 1oz of the CannaGurt when it is re-hydrated.

sandra goulding

4 months ago

Is it in stores in canada

4 months ago

Hi, Sandra!

Yes, our CannaGurt can be found in some stores in Canada. Here is a link to our store locator to find the nearest store to you!

Google Review

• My dogs LOVE their new food!! I used to feed them dry kibble and they would leave their food in the bowls for 2 days before they would eat. Now they wake me up in the morning ready to eat. They also have so much more energy, they act like they are puppies again. The customer service is awesome! Too bad all companies don't have this kind of service. I will continue to buy Steve's Real Food for my dogs.

Kelley Dillon Avatar Kelley Dillon
    11/18/2017
  • CONVENIENT, RELIABLE, DOGS LOVE THE FOOD I switched my dogs to a raw diet about 2 months ago. My older dog was panting a lot and he had a potato sized growth on his shoulder. The growth is now the size of an egg and his excessive panting has stopped. My younger dog was overweight despite the fact that she was very active and on a strict low calorie diet. She has slimmed down quite a bit.

Trish C Avatar Trish C
    10/22/2017
  • We were skeptical of feeding raw. Finally we decided to take the plunge. The first surprise was, my dogs loved it. And the goat milk yogurt is a complete hit! They all love it. We had one small issue with the shipping and after one email everything was taken care of. But now that it's been several months we have noticed many other things. None of my dogs chew on their feet anymore. None of my dogs have itchy flaky skin anymore. And they are all pretty and shiny with tons of energy.

Denise Moitoza Avatar Denise Moitoza
    8/12/2017
  • My dog was a picky eater and overweight. After 4 months of eating this raw diet he is almost at his recommended weight. I no longer have to coax him to eat by doctoring up his kibble. He eats the food as is and empties his bowl right away.

Carrie Thompson Avatar Carrie Thompson
    12/10/2017
  • I wanted to give a shout out to Tara at the corporate office. She really went above and beyond! I had several questions about switching my dog over to raw food and the transition that's involved. She met with me in person and took the time to listen and gave me some great suggestions/feedback to my questions. She shared what her own dog went through and how raw dog food helped. Tara made me feel comfortable and was so kind and thoughtful to take the time out of her busy day to be so helpful. My dog is LOVING the food and has been transitioning very smoothly. Thanks so much for being so awesome, Tara. It meant a lot to me and because of the experience I had and the kindness you showed to me, I will continue to be a grateful customer and will recommend Steve's to all my fellow dog moms and dads.

Susan Romney Avatar Susan Romney