CBD oil has gained popularity recently for its numerous health benefits, leading many people to wonder if they can give it to their pets. While CBD can come from either marijuana or hemp plants, CBD cannot actually get a pet “high”. Most CBD comes from hemp plants – not marijuana plants, which contain a higher amount of CBD and very low, to no THC. Without the THC, CBD products are generally safe for pets to use.
What are the Benefits of CBDs for Dogs and Cats?
Currently, there is not much definitive scientific research data on CBD and dogs; however, there is both experiential evidence from pet owners as well as vast CBD research on humans. Because the structure of the CBD receptors in dogs and cats is similar in humans, CBD is expected to interact with the receptor the same way, yielding similar effects in pets. A few conditions that may benefit from using CBD include:
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- Parasitic and bacterial infections
- Muscular issues such as spasms
- Gastrointestinal issues such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), nausea, and vomiting
- Inflammatory processes and arthritis
- Skin issues
- Pain from diseases such as cancer
- Eye issues such as glaucoma
Pet owners globally have already started to notice the benefits of CBD for their pets.
Making Responsible CBD Choices
Because there is a lack of regulation when it comes to CBD and pets, it is important for everyone to choose their products carefully. Here are some tips for helping select a CBD product for your pet:
- Look for CBD oil that is derived from USDA certified organic Hemp. Organic hemp is free from pesticides and solvents as that can leak into the product.
- Find products that have been extracted through the CO2 method, this way of extraction is much better compared to butane and ethanol.
- Ensure that the product is meant for animals and not people. CBD for people may be okay for pets, but it depends on the CBD. Some people products contain xylitol or grapeseed oil which is toxic for pets.
- Choose CBD products that come with a Certificate of Analysis (COA), which can tell you how much CBD is present in the product, how much (if any) THC, and check for contaminants.
See where Steve’s Real Food gets our quality CBD oil and Hemp Protein. We welcome any questions you may have about our ingredient sourcing.
Before Giving a Pet CBD
For those thinking about giving their pet CBD, here are a few other tips to remember:
- *Talk to the vet first to make sure that CBDs won’t affect the metabolism of other medications. Vets in some states are not legally allowed to bring up the topic of CBD but they can answer questions if you ask them.
- Try to do some research online to become more familiar with CBD and its impacts on animals
- Once the green light is granted, start slow and go slow until you know how your pet will react
- A good starting dose is 1 mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight
- Make sure to keep your pet company for a few hours after giving them CBD so that you can see how they will react the first couple times you give it to them.
Enhance Your Pet’s Diet with CannaGurt from Steve’s Real Food
CannaGurt is CBD infused raw goat milk product meant to help pets with pain, cancer, appetite problems, cognitive issues, anxiety, and even seizures. It is infused with 2.6 mg of CBD per fluid ounce and is available in frozen or freeze-dried.
Many pet owners have already noticed that CannaGurt works faster than many tinctures that have CBD due to the fat molecules in the milk bonds to the CBD molecule and facilitates quicker and better absorption. With so many benefits, why not give CannaGurt a try and see what everyone has been talking about?