While almost every pet owner knows that a healthy and well-balanced diet is necessary for a healthy pet. For those who might not know, essential fatty acids are nutrients that are carried by fat throughout the pet’s body. These omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids play important roles in the structure and function of smooth muscle. This smooth muscle is important in numerous organs and structures such as:
- The heart
- The reproductive system
- Cells in the liver
- Preserving a healthy skin and coat
- Building and maintaining strong joint tissues
In addition, these essential fatty acids have also been tied to the development of the retinas and various antioxidant processes. Clearly, essential fatty acids play an important role in many different bodily functions. What are some of the benefits of these essential fatty acids?
The Benefits of Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs
There are many different benefits that are provided by essential fatty acids for dogs. Some of these benefits of omega 3 fatty acids for dogs and cats include:
- Cat and dog food with high omega fatty acids can drastically improve the luster, shine, and overall health of the skin and coat
- Dog and cat food with omega 3 fatty acids can also help their bodies fight inflammatory diseases
- Essential fatty acids can also slow the development of certain types of cancers
- These fatty acids can also improve the health of the immune system, helping the body fight infections
- As dogs and cats age, these fatty acids can also preserve the overall health of the joints
Clearly, there are many different benefits for pets that have a diet that is high in fatty acids. There are also several different health conditions that can be improved by improved levels of omega 3 fatty acids.
Health Conditions Improved by Essential Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids can also provide benefits for a variety of different long-term health conditions. Some of these include:
- Elevated levels of omega 3’s can improve the overall cardiovascular health of dogs and cats
- These same fatty acids can also slow the progression of chronic kidney disease
- Visual problems can be improved with diets high in essential fatty acids
- Dry, cracked, and brittle skin can be healed
- Autoimmune and other inflammatory disorders can be slowed
These are only a few of the many different pet health conditions that can be improved by essential fatty acids. Therefore, take the time to select pet food that maximizes benefits to their overall health.
Invest in High-Quality Pet Food Rich in Essential Fatty Acids
It is important for pet owners to take the time to understand what constitutes a healthy diet for their furry friend. Diets that are high in essential fatty acids provide countless benefits and can improve long-term health conditions. Therefore, go with nutritious pet food where the ingredients have been hand-picked for a specific reason. Pets will return this care and compassion with years of love.