Benefits of Kelp for Dogs
When slimy seaweed floats beside you in the water, it can startle you; but kelp is actually really good for both people and dogs.
Kelp is a natural source of amino acids; it is 25% protein with only 2% fat in this sea veggie. Kelp is known for its iodine, which is important for healthy thyroid function. While other plants from the sea are nutrients for dogs, kelp contains 60 different minerals and vitamins and 21 amino acids, making it a great ingredient to have in dog food.
The minerals and vitamins in kelp are beneficial for your furry friend in a number of ways.
- Regulates gland activity in the thyroid, pituitary, and adrenal glands
- Helps reduce inflammation and itching so it’s helpful for dogs with skin allergies
- Contains amino acids and protein to aid in tissue repair
- The iodine content helps with thyroid activity. This speeds up weight loss and metabolism.
- Easy to digest with a high fiber content
- Alginic acid reduces tartar buildup and dental plaque
The combination of soluble fiber, calcium, potassium, iron, boron, and vitamins A, B12, C, and E all work together to provide these benefits. When selecting a dog food that contains kelp, you want to ensure the kelp is high quality.
Kelp Sourcing for Our Raw Pet Food
Kelp sourcing for all protein choices by Steve’s Real Food is through Trouw Nutrition. Unlike other kelp, which can be a blend of multiple species from around the world, our kelp is a single species that is hand harvested from the North Atlantic. Hand harvesting not only helps with the sustainability of kelp communities, but it also protects the quality and purity of the product.
- Growing Kelp: Trouw Nutrition kelp has adapted and thrived in one of the harshest environments on earth. It endures major obstacles including solar stress and temperature variations. The protective mechanism of the kelp is also passed to the pet through the food.
- Harvesting Kelp: The harvesting process is an important part of what makes this kelp so unique. The harvest is GPS guided to ensure sustainable harvesting and the availability of the product for the future. The product goes from the kelp beds to drying pads in 12 hours. At low tide, kelp is on the rocks and can’t be harvested sustainably using a specialized rake that cuts kelp above the roots.
- Drying Kelp: Our kelp is solar dried in order to ensure that the protective molecules aren’t damaged. The whole drying process is focused on increasing product quality and retaining nutrients. There are two phases of drying; first, it is solar dried to 18% moisture and then drum dried to 13% moisture.
Kelp, along with all the other ingredients in Steve’s Real Food, is carefully sourced in order to ensure nutritional quality and safety. This helps keeps your pet’s health optimal. The manufacturing and harvesting processes ensure that the product retains the nutrients to keep its SuperFood status. Certifications include ISO 22000, USADA certified organic, and Safe Feed/Safe Food.